To effectively
communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive
the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with
others…and especially when you are communicating with a 7 year old.
Some lessons
in life are most effective especially when you are the perpetrator or at the
receiving end! Either way it is a lesson well learnt!
It was 1989 (changed, shhh…I am a girl) and I was
this wee one, full of laughter, life and chatter. One fine day, I was selected
to be part of the welcome group at a function hosted for the then Governor of
Karnataka. Since I was the youngest (and
cute by all standards) I was to lead and got the maximum share in the
welcoming rituals. I was to garland, do the aarti,
put the tika on forehead and place
the Mysore peta. That was like 4
tasks! Also, they told me that a helper would be placed strategically, ready
with these things. What more, I would be photographed by the press and being
seen in papers the next day was a high possibility. A girl can ask for nothing
more..sigh!
Then began a
week of practice. A crash course in walking, garlanding, doing the aarti, putting the right amount of tika, and of course the correct way to
hold the Mysore peta! And they even
gave me a light-weight plate, so that I wouldn’t drop the aarti (it’s kumkum and haldi
in water). Instructions were whispered in my ear every day. For a 7 year
old I was so confident and didn’t suffer from any nerves.
The D day
dawned. I was in my finest traditional attire. The whole welcome party
assembled at the door of Bangalore’s iconic landmark- The Townhall. The
Governor arrived, there was frantic activity everywhere. I was
hardly 3 foot nothing, couldn’t see much but the frenzied atmosphere told me
that my time was nearing. This was THE MOMENT of my life!
I put my best
foot forward! I walked, garlanded, did the aarti,
put the tika and the mysore peta. I HAD DONE IT! I turned around,
looked at everyone, and waited for the pleasant sounds of the claps in
appreciation …but there was dead silence. Miss Sushma Balu had executed the 4
tasks remarkably and welcomed the PERSONAL ASSISTANT standing beside the
Governor! Why? Because, nobody bothered to tell or point out the Governor to
the little one!
So folks, I
don’t know whether this incident prompted my decision to join Communications.
But it certainly taught me more than one lesson in Communications. One, get the
basics right. Two, never ASS U
ME (assume)!
As Communications professionals,
we are certainly a cool lot (excuse the
narcissism) before any press meet or media event. But inside we are in a
frenzy. Imagine, we get our messaging right, briefing is perfect, preparations
are done, the spokesperson is ready, you are ready…but somebody has actually
forgotten to tell the spokesperson that the event is today and not tomorrow!
Similarly, your business may be booming, profits soaring, order books
overflowing, but did you miss compliance? Did u 'accidentally
overlook' an ethical/legal thing? All these ‘basic’ things could
make your end result redundant if you don’t get it right. One small mistake,
assumption or oversight could defeat the entire purpose and you may end up
garlanding the PA!
Laughing my gut out !!! Hilarious and lesson learnt !!
ReplyDeleteThanks re..glad i could make you laugh:)
DeleteGreat one, Sushma. We tend to overlook the basics. Points noted :)
ReplyDeleteCommunication is most important element of any task. In Military, people repeat, and ask the person as to what he has understood. Despite an MTech in Communication, Suma thinks (and correctly) that I don't know how to communicate. Enjoyed reading and was recollecting this incident. On second thoughts, mis-communication some times, helps. But for mis communication, miss balu would have missed writing on this mis adventure.
ReplyDelete